28 July 2011

Sidewalk Talk

Stories of everyday expressions of hospitality from sidewalks around the world.

I met Polly* at a local "department store" (I use the term loosely) in my new city in South Asia. I went in to buy towels but for some strange reason (we will call it jet lag) I only bought one. Polly assisted me  and was so kind. She was very patient with my poor language skills and just did everything she could to help. As I said, I only bought one towel and of course I needed more. I returned to the store a few days later to get another. As I walked to the store I asked the Father for a chance to just say hi to Polly again.  I went in the store and sure enough she was there. She and the other workers were having a break time and enjoying a snack together. I felt so bad to interrupt and was sure I was not going to be able to talk with Polly. But, as I was looking at the towels, Polly came up behind me with some of her snack to share with me! I was stunned and, being the polite American I am, I refused. Polly was persistent and offered again. I realized she was showing me a great kindness and to refuse would be extremely rude.  I could not believe it! Here is this precious girl offering a complete stranger, new to her country, and obviously not very culturally savvy, some of her snack at work. It was such a simple act of hospitality but the Father used it to lift my spirits. The whole way home I was in awe of the Father's sweet provision and of this girls generosity and hospitality to me. I hope that when given the chance I will extend the same simple hospitality to a stranger and open the doors for potential friendship.

~Please lift up further meetings with Polly(I still need more towels:) and boldness on my part to share the Truth with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment